Saturday, April 27, 2013

Finding Lost Things


I have this shirt I like to wear- I got it as a hand me down. It’s baby blue and in block letters on the front it reads “FOUND”. Since I work with children, a lot of them read it and ask what it means. I turn around and get them to read the back- “For this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. Luke 15:24”. The rest of the verse which is not on the shirt reads- “And they began to be merry.”

I find, like most shirts, this is an excellent witnessing tool. And for today, the beginning of our topic. 

I find most of the time, in my life, things have a tendency to happen in threes. And when they do- I pay attention.

Earlier this week there was a post on Facebook saying something like –“It’s not really lost until your mother can’t find it!” As a mother, I have truly perfected the art of finding lost things. Mainly it’s the TV remote, and it can usually be found wedged between the seats of the love seat the kids and I like to sit on. There have been times that I have found it on the bathroom sink and in the bread box.

Just this week one of my lovely children lost my car keys. I searched for an hour and a half! No joke. I was going crazy. Retracing steps, asking question worthy of an investigative detective, enlisting the help of anyone in the vicinity. About half way into my quest I had a realization.

Every time I have lost something of significant value- I have eventually- at my wits end- stopped and prayed, asking for God’s help. Within minutes I usually find the item in question and with a heartfelt thank you continue on my merry way. 

As I was frantically searching for my keys, thinking on “finding lost things” I remembered the parable from Luke 15:8- a woman scours her home looking in every nook and cranny for a piece of silver she has lost. When she finds it, she is over come with joy. Verse 10 goes on to say- “Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.”

While I may be good at finding my lost things and rejoice happily at their return, I know there is one who is infinitely greater at finding lost things than I and the joy that comes with being found is limitless.

I pray that if you are lost today, that you too will soon be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment